Immigration Advice

In an emergency, dial 999

Call us for help on 020 8571 0800 or email [email protected] 

Are you experiencing domestic abuse and worried about your immigration status?

No matter your immigration status, you have the right to be protected from abuse. We can provide you with advice and practical support to help you resolve the problems you are facing.

Even if you do not have British Citizenship, or the right to stay in the UK permanently, you have the right to call the Police for protection against abuse. Their job is to ensure your safety.

If you have injuries, you must go to your local hospital and/or GP as soon as possible to get treatment or report any physical or emotional abuse you have experienced.

You may wish to end the relationship with the person or people who are abusing you. You may also want to remain in the UK. Your rights to remain in the UK or access housing and other support will depend on your immigration status.

If you are a victim of abuse who came to the UK on a spouse or partner visa, as the dependant of a student or the dependant of someone who is working in the UK, you should seek urgent immigration advice from a solicitor or a regulated immigration advisor.

If you are having problems finding legal advice or are worried about your immigration status in relation to domestic abuse, contact our confidential helpline.

You may be able to stay in the UK as a result of the domestic abuse you have experienced under the Domestic Violence Rule. We can advise you on whether the Domestic Violence Rule applies to you, but you will also need to find a legal adviser to confirm this and make an application on your behalf.

Find out more about the Domestic Violence Rule.

Change the lives of women today.


Women’s Aid Website

The Survivor’s Handbook: Print and Audio Versions
Making arrangements for children after separation: the role of the family courts.

Rights of Women

Rights of Women have fact sheets on residence, contact and parental responsibility that can be downloaded for free from their website.
Women lawyers provide advice on 020 7251 6577 (telephone) or 020 7490 2562 (textphone) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm and Fridays, 12 noon – 2:00 pm.


Reunite runs a 24-hour emergency service for international child abduction cases.

Their advice line on 0116 2556 234 is open Monday to Friday, 9:30 am to 5:00 pm or for information see their website.

The Reunite Child Abduction Prevention Guide provides clear and concise information and practical steps to take if you fear your child is in danger of abduction.

We use cookies

Please note that on our website we use cookies to enhance your experience, and for analytics purposes. To learn more about our cookies, please read our Privacy policy. By clicking "Accept Cookies" or by continuing to use our website you agree to our use of cookies.

Cookie Policy
Exit Site